Friday, February 19, 2010

Knit 6 Garter Stitch Jacket

In my usual out of season knitting, I have just finished this jacket from Jo Sharp Knit 6. I do have some excuse, it is my sister's birthday present, and I have finally finished it only a fortnight after her birthday! It may be a little sandy, as I knit most of it at the beach, taking advantage of some cooling breezes, and the majority of the project was not sitting in my lap whenever I could avoid it. This is a very warm yarn!
SAM_0008

The yarn is Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed, in shade 116 Ivy. The jacket is oversized, and boxy in design, which will look very good over a turtleneck and a scarf in a Melbourne winter, but looks a little too much on me, over a summer dress. I hope you can get an idea of how the jacket looks from my photo - try to imagine it at a football game :).
SAM_0009
The length is in between version 1 and version 2, to finish at high hip (it is a little longer on me, as I am shorter than my sister.

SAM_0007
I have used the neck from version 2, but the two high buttons from version 1, as I my sister likes this better.
I had some trouble with the armsyce, similar to the problem I had with the Knit 5 eyelet cardigan. I found the armhole very large again. In this case, although my tension was correct for garter stitch and stocking stitch as shown in the pattern, my sleeve was considerably smaller than the armscye. I am using this as my excuse for being 2 weeks late with the present. I had to add a gusset in the armscye by picking up stitches at the base to fill it in, and this was sufficiently annoying to make other projects much more attractive to pick up and knit.
SAM_0005
I am pleased to have made this for my sister, but am ready for some more lightweight knitting. It is still cotton and silk weather here.

No comments:

Post a Comment