Friday, February 26, 2010

Araucania Socks

SAM_0027
I bought this yarn in October, whilst I was in NSW on a buying, or should I say, trying, trip. I wanted to have some personal experience with lots of yarns that are available, before I bought them for the shop.
This Araucania Ranco Multy yarn (colour 306) caught my eye because of its fabulous varied hues. I am always on the lookout for fun sock yarn. I am very impressed with the dying, the transition of shades, and the evenness of the yarn. However, I will not be buying this yarn for my shop.
I bought one skein to try, and there were 11 breaks, or thin spots leading to a break, in the yarn. I know this is not considered a fault by yarn manufacturers these days, but I find this too many breaks for my personal tolerance level.
In addition, I think I have been spoilt by Patonyle. This wool is quite wearable, but definitely more harsh next to the skin than the merino I am used to.
The pattern I have used is my own plain sock pattern. It is available free at the Stitch Bliss shop with any sock yarn purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment